5.26.2010

Kohlrabi quiche

Here is my kohlrabi quiche. I wasn't going to post it but it turned out amazing! Way better than I expected and when I got the idea I didn't find any recipes on the internet for it. Thought I would share.

What you need:
1 pie crust (I used Pillsbury. I had it in the freezer begging to be eaten but you could make your own)
6 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 bunch of turnip greens
2 kohlrabi's with greens still attached
1 cup of cheese.  I used  sharp cheddar but you can use what ever you have.
1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

What to do:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Remove stems of kohlrabi greens and turnip greens. (this is super important the stems are the part of the greens that are the most potent)

3. Chop greens into ribbons.

4. Blanche or microwave greens covered in water for 4-5 min. (This step will take away the potency of the greens. Trust me and don't skip it or they'll turn out really bitter.)

5. While that's cooking, chop the kohlrabi bulb* and sun dried tomatoes into small cubes, almost like mincing an onion.

6. Whip eggs and milk until light and fluffy.

7. Roll out pie crust into pie pan.

8. Drain the greens and spread evenly on the bottom of the pie pan.

9. Fold in cheese, kohlrabi, sun dried tomatoes, salt and pepper into egg mixture.

10. Put egg mixture into crust.

11. Cook 20-35 min until it sets.

12. Enjoy!

*I have learned to like kohlrabi raw but if it's too strong for you blanch it first too.

No comments: