5.08.2010

Chickpea Spaghetti Sauce

First,  I LOVED this recipe and Mr. C said it was ok. He says we eat too many beans. What?!?!? I on purpose feed us tons of beans and I love him but don’t see that changing. Second, Could the chickpea be the perfect food? It’s yummy, filling, and has a great texture. I think its my food husband. You know the food you love so much you’ld give it up for all other foods if food worked like that.

Now, I’m unsure if I’ve blogged about it before but I have a not so private obsession with my slow cooker but around our house Kyle has asked if we can keep the slow cooking to a minimum because if not I would use it every day. I love it that much. Well, I use it about 1 time a week.

Well here it is. I have a 6 quart slow cooker but think this would be better in something smaller. Maybe 4 quart?

1 can of tomato paste

1 can of diced tomatoes. I used muir glen fire roasted but i think in the crockpot it doesn't matter.

1 package of baby bella fresh mushrooms

3 cups of chick peas. (I'm not sure how much this would be in terms of cans. I always make them from dried beans. I think this could be adjusted to your liking. Probably 2 cans drained and well rinsed.)

2 cups of fresh spinach

1 carrot stick chopped (I take a full carrot, scrub it down good and chop it up in my food processor)

1 celery stick chopped (same as above with the carrot)

1 TBSP of oregano

1 TBSP of basil

1 TBSP of brown sugar

1 tsp of salt

2 TBSP of minced garlic

2  TBSP of onion powder.


Put everything in the crockpot and mix except for the spinach. After done spread the spinach over the top. I find this makes it hold up better during cooking. I cooked this on low for about 6 hours and served it with pasta and oven baked tofu for me and chicken for Mr. C. Yummy and you even snuck in some added veggies.

2 comments:

Donelle said...

You can't have too many beans! They are the healthiest protein. I have also been playing with beans. I made red beans and rice last week in the pressure cooker (only takes 15 minutes). Makes wonderful leftovers. I may need to try your recipe.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This looks awesome! I SO love my slow cooker and use it at LEAST once a week. My hubs says we eat too many beans too but I LOVE beans and seem to add them to everything. Chickpea rock!